aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list/a] Statement of concern from Yaroslav Hrytsak

Dear members of AAUS-list,

Yaroslav Hrytsak has asked some of us to circulate the following
statement of concern as broadly as possible. Please feel free to
circulate it further. If you have not signed the letter and wish to
do so, please contact Prof. Hrytsak at  <hrytsak@ceu.hu>.

Regards,

Robert DeLossa

We, members of the international community of intellectuals, are
deeply alarmed by the state of affairs in Ukraine on the eve of the
presidential elections. The latest news from Ukraine leave no doubt
that the country's authorities have engaged in mass violations of
voter rights, manipulations of the law, and abuses of power.

What worries us most is that one of the biggest targets of
persecution are the many students who have spoken out and
demonstrated against what has been occurring. Meanwhile, government
officials have flagrantly pressured Ukrainian universities and other
academic institutions to curb democratic student activities. Freedom
of expression and free elections are cornerstones of democracy,
public activity, and academic life. Therefore we condemn all attempts
at limiting these rights and attacks on democratic rights and
freedoms in Ukraine.

We are in solidarity with all Ukrainian citizens who have stood up to
defend their rights and freedoms. Therefore we shall devote our
efforts to disseminating information about the electoral abuses and
violations of human rights in Ukraine to information agencies, the
mass media, governments, political and human-rights organizations,
and academic communities.

Today a major front line in the international struggle for democracy
runs through Ukraine. We call upon all intellectuals there and
throughout the world to do everything possible to defend your and our
freedom.

Stefan Amsterdamski (Graduate School for Social Research, Poland)
Sorin Antohi (Central European University, US)
Dominique Arel (University of Ottawa, Canada)
Homi K.Bhabha (Harvard University, US)
Jose Casanova (New School University, US)
Elizabeth A. Cole (Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs,
US)
Istvan Deak (Columbia University, US)
Olena Dzhedzhora (Ukrainian Catholic University, Ukraine)
Mikhail Dmitriev (Moscow University)
George Grabowicz (Harvard University,US)
Jan T. Gross (Princeton University,US)
Michael S. Flier (Harvard University, US)
Mark von Hagen (Columbia University, US)
Olia Hnatiuk (Warsaw University, Poland)
Yurij Holovatch National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine)
Yaroslav Hrytsak (Lviv University, Ukraine)
Jerzy Jedlicki (Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland)
Tony Judt (Remarque Institute, New York University, US)
Andreas Kappeler (Vienna University, Austria)
Edward L. Keenan  (Harvard University)
Nina Khrushcheva (New School University, US)
Janos Kis (Central European University, Hungary)
Zenon E. Kohut (University of Alberta, Canada)
Volodymyr Kravchenko (Kharkiv University, Ukraine)
Volodymyr Kulyk (National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine)
Halyna Koscharsky (Macquarie University, Australia)
John Micgiel (Columbia University, US)
Alexander J. Motyl (Rutgers University, US)
Andriy Mokrousov ("Krytyka" monthly review, Ukraine)
Larissa Onyshkevych, Shevchenko Scientific Society, NY, US)
Oleksii Panych (Donets'k University, Ukraine)
Mykola Riabchuk (independent writer, Ukraine)
Blair A. Ruble (Washington, D.C., US)
Roman Senkus (Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, Canada)
Ihor Sevcenko (Harvard University, US)
Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak (Columbia University, US)
Frank Sysyn (University of Alberta, Canada)
Roman Szporluk (Harvard University)
Mustapha Tlili (Dialogues: Islamic World-U.S.-The West)
Larry Wolff (Boston College, US)
Tatiana Zhurzhenko (Kharkiv University, Ukraine)
Myroslava Tomorug Znayenko (Rutgers University, US)

Followed by other ca.300 signatures as by October 29,2004, 13:00

and maintained by BRAMA, Inc.