aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] =?koi8-r?b?RnJvbSB0aGUgIvTPIO7B2yE/IT8hPyIgZGVwYXJ0?==?koi8-r?b?bWVudCAuLi4=?=

N. Gregory Mankiw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._Gregory_Mankiw

"...born February 3, 1958) is an American macroeconomist of Ukrainian
descent. From 2003 to 2005, Mankiw was the chairman of President Bush's
Council of Economic Advisors. His publications are ranked among the most
influential of the over 22,000 economists registered with RePEc.

Mankiw was born in Trenton, New Jersey to Ukrainian parents. ...."

GREG MANKIW'S BLOG - Random Observations for Students of Economics
SUNDAY, APRIL 02, 2006 - Immigration
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/04/immigration.html

"....
But I am sure that my views on this go beyond the economics of the matter
and are deeply personal. When I see unskilled Mexican workers coming into
the United States to find better jobs, I cannot see any difference between
them and four Ukrainian immigrants I know who came into the United States
almost a century ago to find better lives. Those four Ukrainians were my
grandparents. So to me, taking a hard line on immigration feels a lot like
slamming a door in the face of my grandmother.

...."

THURSDAY, JUNE 22, 2006 - Toward a World Language
http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/06/toward-world-language.html

" ....
I enjoyed the piece by Austan Goolsbee in today's NY Times about the
incentives and difficulties of immigrants' learning English. It made me
recall my paternal grandmother, who never was very good in English, even
though she spent most of her life in the United States. Partly as a
result, my father learned Ukrainian before English, even though he was
born and raised in Bayonne, New Jersey.

To those anti-immigrant readers who might take this story as a warning
about things to come: Don't worry. The Mankiw family is fully assimilated
now, thank you very much. Sadly, however, I inherited this grandmother's
language-learning ability (rather than that of my maternal grandmother,
who mastered several languages seemingly without much effort). The only
language I ever managed to become proficient at besides English was
Fortran.

..."

  fyi,

MP