aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] *URGENT* Ukrainian Language Studies at University ofPittsburgh (Please forward!)

February 18, 2011

Dear Friends of Ukrainian Studies,

On behalf of the Ukrainian Language Studies at the University of
Pittsburgh, we write to ask for your urgent support in raising $25,000
by March 6, 2011. If we do not raise sufficient funds, we face the
reality of the 35 year old program's termination.

The University of Pittsburgh has a longstanding history with Ukrainian
studies and has been instrumental in offering Ukrainian to students at
the University of Pittsburgh and to cross-registering students from
Duquesne University, Carnegie Mellon University, and universities in
the surrounding areas. Courses are offered throughout the year as well
as through the Summer Language Institute. Pitt is only one of 18
universities to regularly offer Ukrainian language instruction. Housed
within the Slavic Languages and Literatures Department, Ukrainian
language plays an important role for students and faculty who conduct
research on Ukrainian topics and are associated with Ukraine-oriented
programs. The University of Pittsburgh School of Law fosters a strong
program that offers study opportunities to law students from Ukraine.
The University is home to the Ukrainian Student Organization and the
Ukrainian Nationality Room, which provides scholarships for study in
Ukraine. New to the University are the Carpathian Music Ensemble and a
study abroad program in Ukraine offered through the Department of
Music and The Center for Russian and East European Studies.

As a great supporter of Ukrainian projects, we ask for your generosity
in helping us meet our immediate goal of $25,000 by our two-week
deadline. We ask that you consider a contribution of $1,000 or more.
Your contribution will ensure that Ukrainian language classes are
taught next year and will help launch our larger campaign of $250,000
that will solidify a permanent lectureship for Ukrainian Language
Studies at the University of Pittsburgh for future generations.

Ridna Shkola of Pittsburgh, (IRC 501(c)(3)-EIN 23-7191076) is leading
the fundraising campaign. Your donation will be federally income tax
deductible as provided by law. Please make your check payable to Ridna
Shkola of Pittsburgh, Inc. and write “Ukrainian Language Program” in
the memo line. Please send your generous donation to this address:

Mr. Yaroslaw Hodowanec, Manager
Ukrainian Selfreliance of Western Pennsylvania Federal Credit Union
ATTN: Ridna Shkola Ukrainian Language Program at Pitt
95 South Seventh Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

We thank you for your time and appreciate you taking our most urgent
request into consideration.  For further assistance with your gift or
for more information, please do not hesitate to contact the members of
the fundraising committee. Your gift will be made public unless you
request otherwise.

Sincerely,

Dr. Adriana Helbig, Assistant Professor of Music, University of Pittsburgh
Tel: (412) 624-4193; Email: anh59@pitt.edu

Nataliya DiDomenico, M.A. Instructor in Ukrainian Language at Pitt
Tel: (724) 968-9272; Email: nad50@pitt.edu

Dr. Roman G. Kyshakevych, Director, Ridna Shkola of Pittsburgh, Inc.
Tel: (412) 638-1414; Email: romangkk@gmail.com

Nickolas C. Kotow, Director, Ridna Shkola of Pittsburgh, Inc.
Email: Nickolas.kotow@alcoa.com