aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- Re: [aaus-list] President of K-M Academy: there will be no staff cuts

Dear Colleagues,

Due to the inquiries and misinformation related to
the Law on Higher Education in Ukraine, and the
position of National University of Kyiv Mohyla
Academy, I prepared a summary of the current
status listed below.

The good news is that Ukraine's Parliamentary
Commission on Education defeated Minister
Tabachnyk's proposed draft law on higher education
today.  Further good news is that Kyiv Mohyla
Academy's standing as a respected university and
the leader of reform in higher education,
university autonomy and academic freedom is
unquestioned.  Rumors of diminished faculty ranks
and academic programs and closures are unfounded.

I returned from Kyiv two days ago and witnessed
the round the clock work of Vyacheslav
Bryukhovetsky and Serhiy Kvit related to the
controversial activities of the Ministry of
Education.  The faculty and students of Kyiv
Mohyla Academy are secure in their position as
leaders in promoting university autonomy and
academic freedom.

I take this opportunity to thank everyone for
their support of the National University of Kyiv
Mohyla Academy and higher education in Ukraine.

Sincerely,

Marta Farion
President-Kyiv Mohyla Foundation of America
marta@farion.org

Summary of January 31-February 2 Events in Kyiv

and Clarification of Information Related to

National University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy and

the Law on Higher Education

Minister Tabachnyk’s Draft Law on Higher Education
was Defeated on February 2

The Draft Law on Higher Education No.7486-1
proposed by Ukraine’s Minister of Education Dmytro
Tabachnyk, and formally registered for
consideration in Parliament on December 22, 2010,
was defeated today, February 2, 2011 at the
Parliamentary Commission on Education.

The draft law proposed serious limitations on
university autonomy, academic freedom, budget
cuts, and other provisions that would return
Ukraine to Soviet style control and censorship in
education.  These provisions and budget cuts
applied to all universities of Ukraine, not only
to Kyiv Mohyla Academy.  The draft law also
included the absurd proposal that universities
with less than 10,000 students would no longer be
considered universities.  Such a requirement would
even disqualify some of the world’s most renown
and respected universities and the suggestion was
ridiculed by all.

Even before the proposal’s official registration,
the defeated draft caused a heated reaction from
various national and international academic
circles and from the general public.  National
University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy and Kyiv Mohyla
Foundation of America issued official opposition
to the draft law immediately upon its publication.
Ukrainian Catholic University supported Kyiv
Mohyla Academy’s statement.  Because rectors fear
retribution in the form of dismissals and budget
cuts, there were no statements issued by other
universities of Ukraine.

For more information:

http://tsn.ua/ukrayina/u-radi-provalili-zakonoproekt-tabachnika-pro-vischu-osvitu.html

http://www.newsmarket.com.ua/2011/02/zakonoproekt-tabachnika-pro-osvitu-ne-proyshov-komisiyi/

http://news.finance.ua/ua/~/1/0/all/2011/02/02/226211

Student Protests

A student revolt against the proposed changes in
education had been building for weeks.  Protests
were organized in several cities of Ukraine.  At
the initiative of Kyiv Mohyla Academy students, a
group of over one thousand students from various
universities protested in Kyiv against budget cuts
and centralized control of education on January
31.  Banners displaying signs such as,  “Kyiv
Mohyla Academy Against Commercialization of
Education”, “Tabachnyk Het (Tabachnyk Out)”,
“Equality, Freedom and Student Solidarity”  were
prominent.  The protest began at the Metro Station
Khreshchatyk and proceeded to the Parliament
Building.

“This proposal brings education under total
control of the ministry. This means that all
disciplines, all books and subjects to be learned
will depend on the ministry’s approval”, stated
Yagor Stadnyk of Kyiv Mohyla Academy.  He
continued, “This is only our first warning.  We,
students of Kyiv Mohyla Academy and the other
universities of Ukraine will not give up our
destinies and our futures.”  Some students of
other universities wore masks for fear of
retribution by university administration or
government authorities.

Member of Parliament Andriy Shevchenko met the
students outside the Parliament building and
stated that no law on education reform would be
passed without an open debate that would include
students.  The combination of student pressure,
other negotiations and support of the president’s
administration resulted in the defeat of the draft
law proposed by Mr. Tabachnyk.

Details on student protests are available on the
following sites:

http://education.unian.net/ukr/detail/189927

http://www.radiosvoboda.org/content/article/2293115.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoOsilkBNOc
http://vikna.stb.ua/news/2011/1/31/48801/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-tVDRmtRnk&feature=player_embedded#
http://www.novy.tv/reporter/ukraine/2011/01/31/19/59.html

An alternate Draft Law on Education proposed by
Yuriy Miroshnichenko.

The controversy surrounding Mr. Tabachnyk’s draft
law overshadowed the fact that another draft law
on higher education was registered by Yuriy
Miroshnichenko, member of the Party Regions and
representative of President Yanukovych in
Parliament.  This Draft Law On Higher Education,
known as Draft № 7486, was registered on December
17, 2011.  This proposed draft includes provisions
which support university autonomy, academic
freedom and Ukraine’s integration into the world
academic community.   The draft is supported by
Kyiv Mohyla Academy and the administration of
President Yanukovych.  Hanna Herman, Deputy chief
of staff of the presidential administration, has
publicly opposed Mr. Tabachnyk’s proposals and
called for support of Mr. Miroshnichenko’s draft
on reforms in education which support European
integration, autonomy and freedom.  Other members
of the presidential administration also expressed
support for reform.

For information on Mr. Miroshnichenko see:
http://www.miroshnychenko.ua/

A reference on his draft is on his site.

An Open and Transparent Debate is Needed

The current situation requires an open debate,
analysis and proposals for a comprehensive reform
of higher education in Ukraine, which will become
the basis for preparing the future generation to
lead the country into a competitive political,
economic and academic position.

The controversy brought to light not only the
issues of academic freedom and university
autonomy, but the country’s current and future
political orientation.

Kyiv Mohyla Academy Leads Movement to Reform
Ukraine’s Higher Education for All Universities of
Ukraine.

Kyiv Mohyla Academy’s administration, faculty and
students have taken the lead in the effort of
national reform in education.  The Academy’s
position and standing in Ukraine has been
strengthened in this process.  Reports of closure,
dismissal or reduction of faculty or programs are
unfounded. They are based on sensationalism and
hearsay.  The budgetary reductions announced by
the Ministry of Education relate to all of the
country’s universities, not only Kyiv Mohyla
Academy. Serhiy Kvit, president of Kyiv Mohyla
Academy, clarified the university’s position today
and stated that reductions in the budget will be
implemented in other areas at the university, such
as utilities or equipment, but that no reductions
in faculty or academic programs will take place.

Statement of Dr. Serhiy Kvit dated February 2,
2011:

http://hmaro4os.org.ua/informatsiya-pro-te-scho-v-mohylyantsi-skorochuvatymut-vykladatskyj-sklad-ne-vidpovidae-dijsnosti-serhij-kvit.html

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Franklin D. Roosevelt