aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- Re: [aaus-list] anybody interested in chiming in?

I am also finding this exchange stimulating and thought-provoking. I see
from Adrian's reply that he asks us to take a close look at the pattern
of behavior exhibited by the Yanukovych administration over this half
year. Doing so, he says, we will see that Ukrainians are "tired of
protesting" (but that they still possess the inalienable right to
demonstrations), we will also see that a lot of Ukrainians are happy
with Yanukovych, etc.

Let's consider an opposing perspective, that of one of Ukraine's leading
human rights advocates. Yevhen Zakharov is the head of the Ukrainian
Helsinki Human Rights Union and co-chair of the Kharkiv Human Rights
Group.  Zakharov is arguably  one of Ukraine's leading human rights
monitors. He believes that there is considerable evidence that the new
administration is using the Interior ministry to impose authoritarian
controls on Ukraine; he also notes that these are in violation of
Ukrainian law (we can add, these actions also contradict Ukrainian
obligations under its international human rights treaties). Z

Zakharov finds that a disturbing reversal of the Interior Ministry's
prior stance on human rights has come about since the election. Zakharov
makes a sound and very convincing case for viewing the state as having
undertaken an authoritarian crackdown on basic civil liberties.

I would be interested in hearing more from Adrian or others who view the
Yanukovych administration's human rights record with favor. Zakharov's
recent article in the Kyiv Post has me convinced otherwise. Since his
article provides evidence suggesting that we should not buy Adrian's
argument that democracy is not in peril, I will here sum up the main
points Zakharov makes (for the full article, see "Assault on human
rights under way,"
http://www.kyivpost.com/news/opinion/op_ed/detail/77090/).

1.  The current minister appears to have closed off access points human
rights groups were using to monitor the behavior of the Interior
Ministry. In 2005, within the Interior Ministry a Public Council on
Human Rights was created under then-Interior Minister Yuriy Lutsenko,
co-chaired by Zakharov. He states that this body regularly met and did a
great deal of work over the past 5 years, but it has not been permitted
to meet since Mohylyov became the new Interior minister.

2. A recent directive increases the powers of Interior Ministry
officials by calling for “constant control over the stay of foreign
nationals on service structures, carry out thorough checks of foreign
nationals’ documents, give particular attention to whether they have
registration cards issued by border guards.”

- Zakharov points out that this order is in violation of existing laws,
which forbids such categorical surveillance. It also helps to place the
detention of Lange into a broader perspective - as Oksana notes, we can
see that Lange is no isolated incident but rather, part of a broader
policy of using state surveillance against foreigners.

3. A new directive restricts freedom of movement and introduces Soviet
style surveillance: according to Instruction No. 292 from April 23,
railways are to re-introduce obligations that ticket sales require
passengers to provide  full names, dates of birth, and the number of a
person’s ID. Such data were in the Soviet era commonly used against
groups or persons critical of the government. This type of surveilance
is in violation of  rights to privacy and reintroduces state
surveillance over one of Ukraine's most common forms of public
transportation.

Broadly, Zakharov makes a case that gross violations of the right to
peaceful assembly have been observed on a staggering scale: Zakharov
points out that 350 articles have appeared in the media criticizing how
the police handled peaceful gatherings, such as protests. In other
words, in less than half a year, more media criticism of state
repression of public demonstrations has appeared than in the three
previous years (2007, 2008, 2009). He also expresses concern over recent
evidence of a resurgence in violence used against detainees ("From June
11-14 alone, four deaths were reported as a result of police actions.
Another victim ended up in emergency care.")

Zahkarov provides examples of systematic human rights violations
resulting from the Interior Minister's own new policies and troubling
signs that the Ukrainian state is once again using the police to impose
new (Soviet style) forms of surveillance over citizens as well as
foreign nationals, thus inhibiting freedom of movement, freedom of
expression and freedom of assembly. Why would he write this if
everything was good with the state of democracy in Ukraine?

--
**************************

Alexandra Hrycak
Associate Professor