Subject: Europe and Eurasia: U.S.-Russia Relations Under the Obama
Administration
From:    "U.S. Department of State" <usstatebpa@subscriptions.fcg.gov.com>
Date:    Thu, June 17, 2010 4:08 pm
To:      pyz@brama.com

Europe and Eurasia: U.S.-Russia Relations Under the Obama Administration [
http://www.state.gov/p/eur/rls/rm/2010/143275.htm ]"Thu, 17 Jun 2010
14:42:47 -0500"

*
U.S.-Russia Relations Under the Obama Administration
*
Philip H. Gordon
Assistant Secretary, Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs Remarks at
the German Marshall Fund
Washington, DC
June 16, 2010

"As prepared"

Thank you very much for having me here today. It's great to be back at GMF
and I look forward to this exchange of views.

This is a timely moment to take stock of U.S.-Russian relations --
eighteen months into the Obama Administration, eighteen months into the
"reset" of relations between our two countries, and nearly one year since
the Obama-Medvedev summit in Moscow. President Medvedev will soon be
traveling to the United States, visiting Silicon Valley and holding a
series of meetings in Washington as well. The trip in a sense caps a year
and a half of hard work in reorienting our relationship and offers a
 chance to reflect on how far we've come.

I'd like to start by going through the basic logic of the "reset". When
President Obama came into office less than six months after the Georgia
war, U.S.-Russian relations were at their lowest point in years and
perhaps in the post-Cold War period. There were other troubling events
that had colored the recent past as well:

  * Gas cutoffs to Ukraine
  * A cyber-attack on Estonia
  * Virulently anti-Western speeches from Putin including one in which he
compared U.S. policies to those of the Third Reich
  * The resumption of Russian strategic bomber air patrols along the
Norwegian coast and as far away as the Caribbean
  * President Medvedev's threat to deploy Iskander missiles to Kaliningrad

President Obama and Secretary Clinton had no illusions about the
differences we had and continue to have with Russia, but they also
recognized that the level of acrimony and distrust that pervaded
U.S.-Russian relations did not serve U.S. interests. Moreover, they saw
that the poisonous atmosphere between the two countries was a threat to
the stability and security of Europe itself. The relationship was
undermined by a lack of trust and the absence of any political structures
for constructive
 dialogue, let alone cooperation. This meant not only were we not getting
anything done but that Russia had nothing at stake in its relations with
the United States and so was uninterested in considering U.S. positions.

And so the idea behind the reset was a simple one: The United States and
Russia have significant common interests and where the United States and
Russia have common interests, we should cooperate. Where we have
differences, we will be honest about them, both in private and in public,
and work to move the Russians to more reasonable positions. We will pursue
a better relationship with Russia in our mutual interest and we will do so
without sacrificing our principles or our friends. With these
 basic propositions as a guide, we have pursued a path of principled
engagement. And we believe that path has yielded considerable results.

There may have been a time during the course of last year when one could
have asked, "What has the reset really gotten us?" It's a legitimate
question, but the implied critique is not really sustainable halfway into
2010. The Obama Administration's new approach to Russia has produced
considerable results that have advanced U.S. interests on a host of vital
issues. Some of the most prominent include:

  * The New START Treaty, which is the most comprehensive arms control
agreement in nearly two decades. The Treaty cuts - by about a third -
the nuclear weapons that the United States and Russia will deploy. It
significantly reduces missiles and launchers. It puts in place a strong
and effective verification regime. And it maintains the flexibility that
we need to protect and advance our national security, to guarantee our
commitment to the security of our Allies, and to move responsibly toward
 world without nuclear weapons.

  * We concluded a lethal air transit agreement that has now permits, on
average, two U.S. planes a day to fly over Russia carrying troops and
supplies in support of the mission in Afghanistan. To date, over 275
flights have carried over 35,000 passengers and valuable cargo. Russia's
rail network has facilitated transit of more than 10,000 containers of
supplies. And Russia's willingness to consider NATO's request for
helicopters, spare parts, and training to the Afghan National Security
Forces
 open the door to additional important security assistance. About 30% of
cargo to Afghanistan goes through the Northern Distribution Network (NDN)
and 60% of the NDN goes through Russia.

  * Well over 100 meetings and exchanges have taken place under the
auspices of the Binational Presidential Commission, bringing together
over 60 Russian and American government agencies, not to mention
multiple private sector and non-governmental partners. We have achieved
concrete results:

  * On security, we have agreed to dispose of enough weapons-grade
plutonium for 17,000 nuclear warheads;
  * On economics, American companies were the first to announce
investments in Russia's Skolkovo innovation center, while Russia just
awarded a 50-aircraft tender for Boeing 737s worth $4 billion;
  * On people-to-people cooperation, we completed in May our first ever
youth basketball exchange in the United States and supported over 40
American cultural events in Russia.
  * We are working on many other areas from the environment to terrorism.

The UN Security Council has just enacted a series of tough sanctions
against the Iranian regime, aimed at sharpening the choice for Iran
between continued isolation and addressing the concerns of the
international community about its nuclear program. In crafting and passing
this resolution, we worked very closely with the Russian government. This
is a real contrast from where things stood on this issue a year ago or
even six months ago. I was with Secretary Clinton in Moscow in October
when the
 headlines were "Russia Rebuffs US on Sanctions." We have seen a real
change in the Russian attitude. This also comes on the heels of our
cooperation on UNSC resolution 1874 on North Korea. These are clear
examples where our common interest in preventing nuclear proliferation
combined with our new diplomatic approach produced effective action.

We have maintained throughout the efforts to achieve these results a
staunch insistence on our values and on defending our principles and
friends. Where we agree with Russia, we seek to cooperate - and where we
disagree, we do not hesitate to voice our differences. We have a very
strong record to stand on of demonstrating the solidity of our strategic
commitments and the firm principles behind them. Some have suggested
compromises on Central European security, Georgia, and human rights as the
 "cost" of reset, but the argument does not stand up to scrutiny.

_Central Europe_. In July 2009, a group of Central European intellectuals
released an open letter critical of the Obama Administration's approach to
the region. Yet the record clearly shows we have staunchly defended the
sovereignty and territorial integrity of Central European states and their
basic right to choose their own alliances.

  * In September 2009, we announced the new Phased Adaptive Approach for
European missile defense - which uses proven and new technology, covers
more of Europe, and is therefore more responsive to the current and
future security threats the continent faces.

  * Nor does our cooperation with Russia imperil in any way our commitment
to defend our Allies in accordance with Article 5 of the North Atlantic
Treaty. Neither the U.S. nor the Alliance views Russia as an enemy. And
both the U.S. and our Allies are committed to engaging with Russia on
areas of mutual interest, in particular as regards addressing the new
security threats that emanate from outside Europe. At the same time,
Article 5 means exactly what it says with respect to protecting the
 security of all our Allies, no matter where those threats may arise.

_Georgia._ We have been unambiguous in standing up for the sovereignty and
territorial integrity of Georgia. We have committed one billion dollars in
assistance to Georgia to aid in its reconstruction. We have pursued a
strategic partnership with Georgia - something I am actively involved in,
with a great deal of high-level interaction between the United States and
Georgian governments. And I just spent last week in Geneva in talks aimed
at getting Russia to live up to the ceasefire commitments
 it agreed to in 2008, including pulling back its forces to the positions
they held prior to the outbreak of the conflict. We will continue to
support Georgia and stand by it.

_Human Rights. _We also continue to be plainspoken with Russia about our
commitment to human rights and democracy. In every senior-level meeting I
have participated in with Russian counterparts, these concerns have been
raised. We believe that fostering a respect for human rights as well as
promoting the development of strong democratic institutions and the rule
of law are the keys to a stable, secure and prosperous Russia. The entire
Obama Administration has engaged intensively on this issue:
 the President held a parallel civil society event during his visit, gave
a speech in which he emphasized the importance of democracy to students
at the New Economic School, met with opposition leaders, and gave an
interview to Novaya Gazeta. Secretary Clinton has also met extensively
with civil society leaders, gave a speech at Moscow State University
describing how political freedom was necessary for progress, and gave an
interview on Ekho Moskvi. NSC Senior Director Mike McFaul on his recent
 trip to Moscow held a civil society event on prison reform and met with
Sergei Magnitsky's mother and Mikhail Khodorkovsky's lawyer, and with
independent bloggers; I have had my own meetings with human rights groups
in Moscow and in DC.

  * We also spend $33.6 million on funding for democracy promotion and
civil society in Russia.

  * The Civil Society Working Group of the new Bilateral Presidential
Commission is providing yet another avenue to pursue these issues with
Russian counterparts.

There is, however, a deeper level at which the reset contributes to
European security. A better, more stable, more constructive relationship
between the United States and Russia is good not just for our two
countries, but it is good for Europe as a whole. Contrast the tone of the
relationship today with the period from 2006 to 2009. What we have seen is
not a merely a change in tone and rhetoric, or just a good personal
rapport between presidents. Russia recently agreed to settle a 40-year old
 border dispute with Norway, on terms that were unacceptable to Gorbachev
and Yeltsin. In a hugely symbolic step, NATO troops marched in Moscow's
Victory Day parade. Russia has begun an outreach to Poland in the past
few months that has already seen Vladimir Putin acknowledge the Katyn
Massacre and kneel at a memorial to its victims. In the wake of the
tragic plane crash that killed the Polish president and other
dignitaries, Russian officials reacted promptly and cooperatively
throughout the
 investigation.

All this demonstrates that the reset in relations cannot be understood as
the mere result of a change in U.S. policy. It is just as much the result
of a Russia that is willing to engage in pragmatic solutions to the
problems we all face. As a leaked foreign policy document published
recently in the Russian edition of Newsweek implied, the leaders in the
Kremlin now believe that they need and can achieve good relations with
both Europe and the United States. This makes sense when you look at
 Russian interests from a strategic perspective: in a complex and changing
world, the principal threats to Russian security do not come from stable
democracies in Central Europe.

There is still much more to do as we seek to advance our relationship with
Russia - we seek to do more in terms of arms control, we have to deepen
our economic relationship, we should work to get the Russians into the
WTO, we want to cooperate on the development of missile defense, and we
need to make progress on Georgia. Even with more progress, we do not
expect that we will always agree with Russia - and when we do not, we will
express that disagreement vigorously and we will unyieldingly
 defend our principles, our commitments, and our allies.

But this opportunity to take stock just as clearly demonstrates how far
we've come. It is striking that favorable attitudes towards the United
States in Russia have increased from 38 to 54 percent from January 2009 to
January 2010. We have a number of concrete achievements brought about by
U.S.-Russian engagement, we have continued to keep faith with our allies
and our principles, and we have seen substantial progress in creating a
more stable European security environment as a whole.

With that, I look forward to our discussion.

Back to Top [ # ]

The Office of Electronic Information, Bureau of Public Affairs, manages
this site as a portal for information from the U.S. State Department.
External links to other Internet sites should not be construed as an
endorsement of the views or privacy policies contained therein.

Department of State [
http://contact-us.state.gov/cgi-bin/state.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php
 ].

This service is provided to you at no charge by the U.S. Department of
State [ http://www.state.gov/ ].

GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of U.S. Department of State . 2210 C
Street NW . Washington DC 20520 . 1-800-439-1420
Title: Europe and Eurasia: U.S.-Russia Relations Under the Obama Administration

Europe and Eurasia: U.S.-Russia Relations Under the Obama Administration
Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:42:47 -0500

[...]

Update your subscriptions, modify your password or e-mail address, or stop subscriptions at any time on your Subscriber Preferences Page. You will need to use your e-mail address to log in. If you have questions or problems with the subscription service, please contact support@govdelivery.com. Other inquires can be directed to the U.S. Department of State.

This service is provided to you at no charge by the U.S. Department of State.

GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of U.S. Department of State · 2210 C Street NW · Washington DC 20520 · 1-800-439-1420

and maintained by BRAMA, Inc.