aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] addendum to FSU Petition

Dear AAUSivtsi,

Prof. Romanchuk has the following addendum to the petition that I
forwarded earlier today to the list:

"It should be of interest to readers of this list that, although our
Slavic BA and MA programs are focused on Russian language and culture
(by necessity, as there are only three of us), they promote Ukrainian
as well. You may know me as a co-author of the Ukrainian language
textbook Rozmovliaimo! and of articles on Ukrainian topics in Slavic
Review and UCLA Slavic Studies. I have taught Ukrainian at FSU as a
voluntary overload in four academic years, once as an intensive
course for several graduate students and three times as independent
study courses. Considerable (and explicitly articulated) Ukrainian
content is also present in our regular curriculum, in particular in
courses on Gogol, Kievan Rus' Literature, History of the Russian
Language (taught as "History of Russian and Ukrainian" when Ukrainian
speakers enroll), Slavic Civilization (with a full unit on Ukraine),
and the Slavic Vampire. I have worked on Ukrainian thesis topics with
doctoral, masters, and undergraduate honors students.

"Please note as well that the name of our undergraduate major is
Russian, hence "Slavic/Russian" in our petition materials."

--------

As I indicated earlier, it would be a blow to Ukrainian studies to
lose this program. I hope that you will spend a few moments to write
letters of support. Addressees are listed in the previous post.

Regards,

Robert DeLossa
--
Robert DeLossa