aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] Student Model United Nations, Kyiv 24.-26.4.09 (15.4.)

Invitation

24 – 26 April 2009

From: The Secretariat of Kyiv International Model United Nations at Kyiv
National Taras Shevchenko University

It is our distinct pleasure to invite you to participate in the 1st
session of Kyiv International Model United Nations Conference to be
held this year April 24 – 26, 2009 at Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko
University from Friday to Sunday, 24 to 26, 2009. Throughout the
conference, delegates will gain insight into the workings of the
United Nations by actively participating in the resolution of
important global issues. Participants will not only work with
hundreds of other motivated University students with the common goals
of furthering international awareness and building consensus, but
will also work within a lively social setting. During the conference,
students participated in simulations on topics such as the Situation
in the Middle East, including the Palestinian question, Piracy as a
global threat to maritime security, Enforced disappearance of people,
Case concerning the Aerial Herbicide Spraying (Ecuador vs. Colombia),
The affect of the financial crisis on the developing economies and
many other topics of great importance to the international community.

Please fill out the enclosed registration form as quickly as possible
so that we can assign countries to your delegation.  You can also
register online on our website at the following address:
http://mun.graphcodegroup.com/ (registration – button). * The per
student fee will be of Euro 20. The delegations from other countries
could pay their fees on the Conference. And the delegations from Kyiv
and Ukraine should pay their fees before the 15, April, 2009. They
could make the payment to our finance director of KIMUN or to the
bank account.*

This will be our first attempt to hold an international model United
Nations in Kiev. But the group that organizes KIMUN has tremendous
experience of organization of many international conferences,
including Model UN, held in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia - Ivanovo, Saint-
Petersburg, Moscow, The Hague, Belarus – Minsk, Greece - Salonika,
Austria - Vienna, Germany - Rammstein, Bad-Urach etc. and we`ll do
all our best to make the KIMUN interesting.

* A Model UN delegate is a student, teacher of higher educational
institutions, expert on the problems the conference, experienced
analysts, representative person of embassies and both governmental and
nongovernmental organizations. Model UN students tend to go on to become great leaders in politics, law, business, education and medicine, such as the people mentioned above.*

This year, the three-day High Kyiv International Model United
NationsConference will include simulations of the United Nations
General Assembly, United Nations Security Council, United Nations
Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), The United Nations Human Rights
Council, International Court of Justice, UNICEF, General Assembly
Fourth Committee on Special Political and Decolonization (SPECPOL),
General Assembly First Committee on Disarmament and International
Security. The list of members of each committee You can find on our
website (address look higher).

KIMUN 2009 will provide delegates with a look at the functions and
responsibilities of the United Nations and other intergovernmental
organizations by simulating various different committees within the
organization. Each committee will address one topic area of
international significance, and the wide range of committees offered
will give every delegate a chance to pursue a topic of interest. In
addition, KIMUN offers several "round table" conferences. Each
participating university will be assigned committee slots from one or
more countries based on availability and preferences expressed on the
conference application.

>From Friday to Sunday, delegates will meet for four sessions of three
or four hours each. During the first session on Sunday, the delegates
will make there`s Open speech on the General Assembly. Then, on
Saturday, on the next session the delegates in committee will debate
on the chosen topic area. This debate will take the form either of
formal debate, following the KIMUN rules of parliamentary procedure,
or of a caucus, where these rules are suspended to allow informal
discussion.

Over the next three days, brainstorming and discussion will yield
working papers, which express the opinions of a delegate or a group
of delegates on specific aspects of the topic. As delegates negotiate
and compromise, these working papers will form the basis of draft
resolutions, possible solutions the committee could adopt to deal
with After resolutions are drafted and introduced to the committee,
delegates will debate, combine, amend, and vote on the drafts to pass
one all-encompassing resolution to address the problem.the problem at
hand.

* Main aspects of Kyiv International Model UN 2009:   *

    *   Press conference before opening for Media.
    *   Solemn opening (+Open speech of the delegates) and closing.
    *   Work in Committees. Debates.
    *   Photo-exhibition "The World beauty by our eyes".
    *   KIMUN daily newspaper.
    *   Round table.
    *   Diplomatic Ball.
    *   TV Project.
    *   Scientific books.
    *   The International Night.

*Delegates will get to know The Ukraine, Kyiv. *They will be visiting
many interesting places. They will taste the Ukraine culture and go
out in Ukraine clubs. Meanwhile they will get to know international
politics, diplomacy, negotiation and debate. Delegates from all
academic, cultural and social backgrounds will work together towards
common goals. At KIMUN 2009, ideas will come together and new ideals
will be shaped. The resolutions that will be written during this
conference will give us a glimpse of the world politics and world
leaders of the future.

*Please fill out the enclosed registration form as quickly as
possible so that we can begin assigning countries.* You may also e-
mail me your country requests and I will try to honor as many as
possible.  You can also register and submit your country requests via
our website at:

http://mun.graphcodegroup.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=categ
ory&id =44&Itemid=66 .

*You should send the filled form to e-mail

Kyivmodelun@gmail.com

Also, please sign if you need the place to live – we would help you
with this.*

If you have any questions, please feel free to phone Yuna
Scheikhalieva, the Secretary-General of KIMUN at +38-066-932-58-90.
You may e-mail her at Kyivmodelun@gmail.com.  We are looking forward
to work with you and your students.

: Please remember that all the delegates of each country assigned
would be representing it in the General Assembly, and one for each
smaller committee to which it may be assigned.

I look forward to meeting you at KIMUN 2009!

Sincerely yours, Yuna Scheikhalieva,

Secretary-General of

Kyiv International Model United Nations 2009

--
Olesya Storozhuk
UNISTUDY.org.ua - Editor

--