From: "Daria Fedewytsch-Dickson" [dsfd@unimelb.edu.au]
Date: 09/11/2008 10:52 PM
To: "Sorokowski, Andrew (ENRD)" , "OSD" , solar75wind@gmail.com, chumache@illinois.edu
CC: ukrainians@yahoogroups.com, aaus-list@ukrainianstudies.org
Subject: RE: [aaus-list] VG, F-D:biased

Well said.

Daria

-----Original Message-----
From: Sorokowski, Andrew (ENRD) [mailto:Andrew.Sorokowski@usdoj.gov]
Sent: Fri 12/09/2008 02:11
To: OSD; solar75wind@gmail.com; chumache@illinois.edu; Daria Fedewytsch-Dickson
Cc: ukrainians@yahoogroups.com; aaus-list@ukrainianstudies.org

I was under the impression that this is a list for scholars dedicated to
Ukrainian Studies, not an association of patriotic Ukrainian scholars.
Therefore, russophilia should not disqualify one from participating --
any more than polonophilia or germanophilia or americophilia -- provided
that one does support Ukrainian studies. We all have our biases; the
issue is whether we can control them and be truthful and reasonably
objective. In the academic world even (or especially) being a
Ukrainophile can disqualify you from a job in Ukrainian studies if it
interferes with your scholarly integrity. The only russophiles that
should be excluded are those that deny the very existence of Ukraine and
thus the validity of Ukrainian studies as such.

Andrew Sorokowski
US Department of Justice (whose views he does not represent)