aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] An invitation to select students from Ukraine forHarvard Yale Princeton

Dear Friends:

We at the USA/USA Program feel that the intelligent selection of students from
Ukraine for our USA/USA Program is an important responsibility.  We therefore
would benefit from your input and advice in this process.

There are many interesting essays from students from all regions of Ukraine.
Also, all students have to submit five books that they have read.  This gives us an
insight into what students in Ukraine read.  We are overwhelmed with application
materials and would benefit from assistance in the collation of this interesting information.

We invite you to contact us if you are interested in helping us select students for the
USA/USA Seminar 2008.  You can write to us at: info@ukrainianscholarships.org or
phone 1-212-785-4170.  We are conveniently located in the financial district of lower
Manhattan close to multiple subway lines and the PATH system not to mention Express
Buses.  We can arrange for readings on weekends and in evenings.

You will help us select our USA/USA Seminar 2008 students from 164 registered
candidates from all across Ukraine.  The selected students will be competing against
students from around the world (Bulgaria, Korea, Romania, Turkey, Nepal) for
scholarships to many of the world’s best universities.  Our registration is nearly
complete.

We may end up with as many as 170 registrants even though the deadline passed
on June 15.  Of these 170 candidates perhaps, perhaps 130 will submit rigorously
complete applications.  Our information on these students includes the numbers
of years of study of Ukrainian, Russian, English, Maths, and other languages.

Our applicants are currently undergoing testing all across Ukraine.  For the schedule
of testing in Ukraine visit our website at www.ukrainianscholarships.org.

Our registrants come from 25 administrative regions of Ukraine.  Sevastopol and
Kyiv City are considered separate oblasts.  As always, the number of young women
exceeds the number of men.  The percent of women to men has remained remarkably
stable over the years.  Chernivtsi and Kirovohrad oblasts did not send any applicants
this year.  Chernihiv oblast sent the most with eighteen applications.

About fifty of these registrants will demonstrate adequate English language skills
on objective testing.  Thirty eight of these registrants spent at least a year studying
in the USA.  Thirty five as a result of the FSA/FLEX program.  Two as a result of
their mother being a Fulbright scholar.  One as a result of temporary emigration.

When we select students we seek not only to find the brightest candidates but to
create an ensemble that will give back to our program and will play a constructive
role in the world.  This is not an easy task.  We also search for students who have
a specific intellectual interest, passion or ambition or who cannot realize their
talents in Ukraine.

Thank you for your attention.

Information about the registrations is below.

Bohdan A. Oryshkevich
Founder, USA/USA
New York City

2008 Registrants