From: Adrian Ivakhiv [mailto:aivakhiv@verizon.net]
Sent: Wed 1/30/2008 11:25 PM
To: Daria Fedewytsch-Dickson; Sorokowski, Andrew (ENRD); aaus-list@ukrainianstudies.org
Subject: Re: [aaus-list] Re: [announce] Expert Scholar andHistorianJoins"HOLODOMOR" Documentary Feature Film Team]

RE: [aaus-list] Re: [announce] Expert Scholar and HistorianJoins"HOLODOMOR" Documentary Feature Film Team]Would it be fair to say the following:

- That there are two main competing models by which historians account for the mass deaths of Ukrainians in the early 1930s:

Model (hypothesis) 1: that the loss of millions of Ukrainians by famine resulting from a policy of enforced collectivization, closing of borders, export of grain, etc (combined with natural circumstances), together with more or less simultaneous acts directed at eliminating nationally-minded urban intelligentsia in Ukraine, constituted an act of genocide against Ukrainians (as defined by the UN Convention on the Prevention of Genocide);

Model (hypothesis) 2: that the above were separate events motivated by independent policy goals, and thus do not constitute 'genocide' against a people, but rather acts of mass murder directed against distinct sub-groups of the population of the USSR.

- That uncertainty between the two positions results in part from a dearth of evidence of intent (as compared, say, to the clear intent by Nazi authorities of genocide against Jews);

- And that, therefore, more research is needed into Soviet archives to determine the nature of the latter. Until the evidence of intent becomes more conclusive, both hypotheses remain viable.

Adrian Ivakhiv