aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] New Ukrainian Folklore materials

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to announce a different sort of addition to our website
at http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/uvp/  Up to now, we have tried to
document Ukrainian folklore in Ukraine.  Since moving to Edmonton, we
have begun documenting Ukrainian folklore in Canada.

Two items are now up.  One is a 3-D model of a Ukrainian Catholic
church just north of Bruderheim called Church of Jaroslaw.  It is in
danger of being closed and so it is the building we documented first.
Narratives that go along with the church (I conducted interviews
while Peter Holloway filmed) should be up shortly.

The other item is 3-D images of pysanky collections.  Last summer
Mariya Lesiv, one of the graduate students, did the photography.  We
are now beginning to convert the photos to 3-D models and to display
them.  We have a “page” up from four of the collections we did.  In
other words, we have samples and should have more material shortly.

Feedback and suggestions welcome.  We would particularly welcome
comments on Pysanka resolution.  Currently, you have a choice of high
or low.  Does the resolution make a difference to you?  Is it worth
giving high resolution images in spite of the time they take to
download?  Are the low resolution images adequate for you purposes?

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta
Modern Languages and Cultural Studies