aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] [Fwd: Re: [SEELANGS] Please forward: CfP Bruno SchulzConference]

fyi,

MP
pyz@brama.com

Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Please forward: CfP Bruno Schulz Conference
From:    "Vitaly Chernetsky" <chernev@MUOHIO.EDU>
Date:    Tue, September 12, 2006 12:55 pm
To:      SEELANGS@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Dear Dr. Van Heuckelom, dear Colleagues,

I was glad to learn that a major internetional conference on Bruno Schulz
is eing prepared at the Catholic University of Leuven, but I was distubed
to find that while the call for papers mentioned that potential papers
could deal with literatures and cultures such as Russian and Czech, it
never referred to Ukraine or Ukrainian culture, and Schulz's home city was
rendered in the Polish spelling. Drohobych is now part of Ukraine, and
although Schulz wrote in Polish, he was an integral part of the
multi-ethnic, multilingual, and multi-confessional landscape of pre-World
War II Galicia, and Ukrainian culture is by no means irrelevant to his
life and work (in fact, Schulz's ties to Ukraine became a major debating
point during the controversy surrounding the removal of some of his
surviving frescoes to Israel a few years ago). I certainly hope that this
omission was not intentional on behalf of the conference organizers.

Sincerely,

Vitaly Chernetsky