aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] CONTEMPORARY ART FROM UKRAINE EXHIBIT - 9-7-2006

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE							September 4, 2006

CONTEMPORARY ART FROM UKRAINE
Vasyl Bazhaj          Sergei Belik          Petro Bevza         Sergiy Hai         Mykola Zhuravel

Opening Reception: 		Thursday,  September 7,    6:00 - 8:00 PM
Exhibit Dates: 		September 7 – September 23, 2006

NEW YORK – The Ukrainian Institute of America is pleased to announce an exhibition of recent and past works by Vasyl Bazhaj, Sergey Belik, Petro Bevza, Sergiy Hai and Mykola Zhuravel, a group of contemporary artists from Ukraine, opening on September 7 and running through September 23. Some of these artists have been previously exhibited both individually and as a part of a group at the Ukrainian Institute of America gallery.

The exhibit is comprised of more than forty, works of oil. Most of the oils were created in the last ten years and comprise the “contemporary” aspect of the show. The exhibit is joined by the theme of noticeable variations of imagery on the paintings by each artist. Would such a compulsion be a sign of the postmodern recycling of the imagery or unifying theme of always already unfinished work?

Mr. Zhuravel and Mr. Bevza graduated from the Kyiv State Arts Academy, Mr. Bazhaj graduated from Lviv Academy of Arts, Mr. Belik received his artistic training from Grekov College of Art in Odessa, Ukraine and St. Petersburg Mukhina Higher Art and Industry College, Russia.  Mr. Hai graduated from Lviv State Institute of Applied and Decorative Art. They all have been exhibited world-wide.

Following are several commentaries about the artists’ paintings:

“Vasyl Bazhaj is a “pure” abstractionist, submerged in the controlled riot of color and form. First of all he is a painter, and most of the impressions come from the richness and beauty of color and the variety and profoundness of the color harmony.”
                                                                                                                                                                        - Dmytro Horbachov

“From my early artistic steps, I started painting still lives and have devoted to this genre my entire creative energy. For many years, still life painting is an exercise in formal training. For me, it offers abstract and philosophical horizons, and as I explore these horizons I engage into an infinite artistic search. My work has been influenced by the great masters of the Renaissance and XVII century Netherlands. I see my art rich in the constructive clearness of the investigated subject matter that reveals the well-balanced internal harmony of the paintings.”                                                                    - from Sergei Belik’s Artist’s Credo

“Zhuravel’s ambitious style results in a remarkable series of living images of a visionary utopia, ranging from his beehive sculptures to his thought provoking installations of glass jars that become virtually transcendental. Equally striking are Zhuravel’s paintings. By using levkas, a traditional primer employed by icon painters, Zhuravel unites the legacies of Byzantine and Rus icon painting with his contemporary painterly technique. The result, richly vibrant and inventive contemporary works that emerge as modern-day icons.”                                                                          - www.zoryafineart.com

“The total designation and classification of human motion and global information flows open new virtual dimensions of human experience, which is not only free from the matter, but from space and time as well. However, what was intended to be information becomes a background noise, and what was intended to be communication, i.e. exchange, degrades into a new form of isolation.”                                                                     - Petro Bevza’s own reflection on his art at www.artofukraine.com

“Evaluating the works of Sergiy Hai one can make the conclusion that the most important moving force in his creativity is his eternal striving for sincerity.  It in itself entices and is perceived as a spontaneous protest against hypocrisy, deceit, Pharisee-ism which engulf our society, relationships and feelings.  Following his own creative road, and achieving a significant level of mastery, the artist is presently not content and continues to search courageously, to acquire confidence and direction.”
                                                                                                                                                                              - Orest Holubets

For Further Information:
Walter Hoydysh, Program Director

Ukrainian Institute of America