aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] Ukrainian Traditional Folklore - Website updates

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to announce several major additions to our Ukrainian
Traditional Folklore website, http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/uvp

1) We have updated the sound files page which can be found under verbal
culture on the website above or at
http://ra.tapor.ualberta.ca/UkraineAudio/
We have systematized the page, creating larger categories.  Now,
instead of having to scroll through a long list of keywords, you will
find a much shorter list of categories.  Click on the category that
interests you and then go to a more detailed list of keywords.  The
keywords, as before, lead you directly to a sound file.  These are my
recordings made in Central Ukraine between 1998 and 2005.  Most of the
information is about family rituals: weddings, baptisms, funerals.
There are also many songs, stories, personal narratives, information
about beliefs in the supernatural, and so forth.

2) We have added a number of images to the rushnyk or ritual towel unit
under material culture.  There are pictures of rushnyky taken in 2005
and a discussion of changes in tradition, specifically the introduction
of motifs from Western Ukraine into the Central area and the
proliferation of “text” towels, rushnyky with words in addition to the
pictures and symbols.

3) We have added a bulletin board.  Since people tend to ask me the
same questions time and again, I prefer to answer them in bulletin
board format so that the information is available for others to use.  I
used to provide this service on www.brama.com, but the bulletin board
collapsed because of too many pornography posts.  To keep out those who
do want to post pornography or advertisements, you will have to
register.  But the service is well worth it.  My brama Ask Pani Natalka
page was very popular.  You can refer to students to this page, both to
search for information and to post questions.  I will do my best to
answer.

Natalie Kononenko

Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta