aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] [Fwd: Re: [SEELANGS] AATSEEL listings]

This list may be of interest or use.

MP
pyz@brama.com

Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] AATSEEL listings
From:    "David Powelstock" <pstock@BRANDEIS.EDU>
Date:    Mon, June 20, 2005 3:56 pm
To:      SEELANGS@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU

Dear Ben and list,

This is extremely interesting information, and kudos to those who made the
time to put it up.  But there is some ambiguity, in the presentation,
which could probably be easily cleared up.  In the first list, by
institutional rank, one might get the impression that the ranking is in
order of best RUSSIAN programs, rather than best RESEARCH universities
(overall). (Whereupon one is surprised to learn that MIT comes in at #4,
with a Russian program characterized by "None"!  Ditto for CalTech at #5.)
 It may seem a minor matter, but when one publicly posts such a list, one
ought to make very clear what it intends to say.  One might even consider
putting the alphabetical list first, since this info is less liable to
misunderstanding.

I hope my comments are not taken amiss, or as inappropriate kibbitzing.  I
worry that this valuable info might be taken the wrong way.

Cheers,

David Powelstock

Monday, June 20, 2005 3:26 PM