aaus-list @ ukrainianstudies.org -- [aaus-list] Re: [announce] RE: Tech ? - SMS Text messaging to Ukraine

Hello.

The cell phone technology (CDMA, GSM, etc.) has nothing to do with whether
or not you can send/receive SMS to other networks.  It only has to do with
the gateway agreements between operators.

For example, in Canada anyone can send/receive SMS between any of the 4
major digital network operators, whether GSM (Rogers and Microcell/Fido
(separate GSM networks)) or CDMA (Bell and Telus).  The 4 operators agreed
not too long ago to allow messages to flow from each other across their
SMS gateways, so now it works.

I do not know what USA Sprint's gatewaying agreements are for SMS to/from
international destinations.  Someone who is a Sprint PCS customer might
want to contact Sprint's customer support and ask them if and when they
are planning on implementing an SMS gateway and get agreements with other
operators.

Andrew Hryckowian